Wednesday, November 25, 2015

We attended mass !

Today we arrived around 1030 am. When we arrived he asked where mama was, because Tony had walked in before me so they brought him in to us. We sat in the dining area and gave him his gifts.  He asked if we had brought stickers, which we hadnt. We went to the playroom for about half an hour and just sat and played with him. One of the caregivers asked if we wanted to go to mass, which was starting in just a few minutes. They said Owen really enjoys it, more so than any of the other kids. So we decided to go. He loves it ! The priest asked if were catholic- we arent. So he let us know that we could partake in the blessing and service but not the communion. I held Owen the entire time, and he was singing along to all the songs and prayers. We started the morning in the back of the room, but he asked to go up front. Sure kid, mama doesnt mind being in front of the entire room in a service Ive never been to and have everyone stare at me. Not a problem at all. Haha !  At one point he did the blessing on himself and then turned to me to bless me. My heart just about melted on the floor <3 Then it was time to go up to the front  and be blessed by the priest. So we did that, and Owen pointed to me as if to remind the priest not to forget mama. Tony and the translator went up next.  Once the translator got back to her seat I told her that we needed to step out because Owen had had an accident and I needed her to let the caregivers know. I didnt want them thinking we were just walking out for no reason ;)

The service ended shortly after and it was time for us to go so that the kids could enjoy some lunch and nap time.

He is really starting to open up to us and gets really excited when they tell him we are coming. They say he asks every morning if mama and papa are coming today, and when they say yes he wants to get dressed and wait for us. He still gets a little shy when we first walk in but it gets easier as the visits go on.

We walked around the city and ate at this "burrito type" place. Seriously, these things are yummy and cheap ! They are about $1.50 each, I am pretty sure this might be our new favorite lunch spot.

We went back to the orphanage around 3, as we walked in there was a birthday celebration going on. I am so happy that even while these children are waiting for families to come that the orphanage chooses to celebrate their lives ! Most children in orphanage do not have birthdays, or holidays. It makes me very happy that while we have missed 4 birthdays, at least he has been surrounded by people that love him. Hopefully he will be home for his 5th birthday !!!

He enjoyed playing with the balloons so much ! Tony was juggling several balloons and Owen was getting a kick out it. That boy has the sweetest laugh I have ever heard. I was sitting next to him eating some cake and drinking Coke. He kept trying to tell me that he could have some, and I asked if he was trying to trick mama he just laughed. I am pretty sure he has never had soda before :)

The caregivers asked if we walked to take him for a walk around the block and he really seemed to want to go so we did. By the time he was dressed to go we could barely see his face. They had him in 3 layers of clothing, a really big jacket, a hat (under the hat on the jackets) and some mittens. He was like a little baby burrito ;) He really enjoyed being outside ! We walked around for just a little while but he was starting to get tired. We were able to get a few videos of him, which are absolutely amazing.  In one of them you can see his entire leg move ! Which is a great sign for his mobility in the future !

Around 5 he decided he was done playing with us, hopped in his little wheelchair and left the room. We stayed in there and played with some of his friends before saying goodbye to him.



I also want to take a quick moment and let everyone know about our current fundraisers !





We are bringing back our ornaments from last year but with a slight twist. This year we are using Sharpies- because they are tinier and make for cleaner writing :)




 And our Blankets are back ! Keep warm this Winter while helping us bring this sweet boy home to his family.

Paintings can be made with your favorite quotes and colors !


We still have our VISA gift card giveaway board. (Stay tuned something HUGE might happen with this one ;) )
How it works: pick any number on the board that doesn't have a star over it and donate that amount to our FSP (link on side) Numbers 1-50 will be drawn for a $75 giftcard and numbers 51-100 will be drawn for a $150 gift card. When that is donate forward me your receipt at ashtonymcbride@yahoo.com to be entered into the drawing. This step is very important because the donations are anonymous and I will not know who donates.

 And today is the last day for our Scarves fundraiser, but if there is enough interest I could keep it open a little while longer. I was so happy about this one ! Its getting really cold out and I figured it would do really well. It hasnt, but we still have today!  My idea was that we could have an auction with scarves and the ones that were unclaimed could be donated to the women's shelter in our area. If you want to you can buy one and instead of having it shipped to you I can donate it too !
Click Here to view Auction


2 comments:

  1. You're really bringing everything to life for us! I'm so glad you wrote these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are reading them :) I cant wait for you to meet baby girl !!!

      Delete